What are evangelical beliefs or evangelicalism beliefs? How are they different from other Christian beliefs?
You’ve heard it many times. Have faith in God. In today’s world, “have faith in God” varies among religions or faith groups. Amazingly, they differ between Christians with non-evangelical and evangelical beliefs.
Evangelical beliefs date back to the 18th and 19th century. Evangelical comes from the word “gospel.” Evangelicalism has its gospel roots in Britain and North America. Past leaders include John Wesley, the late great Billy Graham and more. T.D. Jakes, Joyce Meyer and others are evangelicals.
In Christianity today, Christians with and without evangelical beliefs make up 1,000 of the world’s 4,200 faith groups or religions. There are over 2 billion Christians in the world. There are at least 41,000 Christian denominations. Pentecostals, Charismatics and Evangelicals are the largest denominations in the world‘s Christian population. Evangelicalism is the second largest of the three. The total of Evangelicals is at least 285 million There are over 300 million Charismatics and at least 280 million Pentecostals. The majority of evangelicals live in the U.S. Sixty percent of evangelicals are born again.
God is Sovereign
Evangelical beliefs are scriptural or biblical-based. They emphasize God, the Bible and the Holy Spirit. Sharing the salvation message via global missions can also be effective. Some beliefs for most evangelicals are as follows:
- Evangelicals believe God is Triune. God is three-in-one. He is God the Creator, but He is also God the Father. He is the Son. Jesus is God in human form. God is in His Son. He is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Ghost is God in Spirit form. Evangelicals believe that the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is a person. He is the Presence of God in the earth. Each part of the triune has a separate function, but they work as one.
- Evangelicals believe God is sovereign. He controls the Universe. There is nothing that can happen without Him allowing it. Nothing or no one exists without Him. God is the Supreme Being and Supreme Ruler. He is Creator and Sustainer of all. He knows all. He is all-powerful. There is nobody greater.
- The Bible is the final authority in the earth. It is higher than any authority. It is the literal word of God. It was inspired by God and ascribed by chosen Apostles and disciples. It is a book of truth, can be trusted and is infallible. It is the first and final earthly authority for family, marriage and other life decisions or choices.
- Evangelicals believe in personal salvation and forgiveness. They believe salvation is by faith in Jesus, alone. It cannot be earned or bought. One must believe that Jesus is God in the flesh. Belief in Jesus death on the cross and His Resurrection are also prerequisites to salvation.
- Evangelicals believe in having a “born again” experience. Receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit is called being “born again.” It is a spiritual rebirth. It means to be saved. Public baptism is also encouraged. Personal salvation can lead to eternal salvation.
- Evangelicals believe in the Second Coming of Christ. They believe the rapture will take place in the end times. The church will be caught up. Those who do not believe will be left for the Great Tribulation period. Those who have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior and have been obedient to His word can receive eternal salvation.
- Evangelicals believe in sharing the gospel message. They believe in the Great Commission. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is shared through personal testimony and other means. They share what Jesus did for them with others.
Evangelicalism or the spread of evangelical beliefs can be like the yeast spoken about by Jesus. Evangelicals relate the importance of fulfilling the Great Commission. As stated by Alister McGrath in “Evangelicalism, and the Future of Christianity evangelicals “hold the key to future Western Christianity.”
We welcome you to share your comments. Visit KNCB.ORG for more FYI articles, sermon videos, Christian movies and Christian music. Check out our Faith Shop for Walk by Faith products. Don’t forget to “like us” on Facebook at Kingdoms Network Christian Broadcasting.
©Minister Vivian H. Caine – All Rights Reserved